Monday, October 17, 2011

And so it begins....

Today, I decided to start blogging. The superficial answer to why I am doing this probably rests somewhere in the domain of vanity and/or pretension. Perhaps I just like to write, albeit not exceedingly well at all times. Or, it could be that I simply have the inability to shut the fuck up and my prefrontal cortex malfunctions with great regularity. Those are all valid explanations for this endeavor, but the principle reason for starting this supplement to my existing social-media presence, is to share one of my greatest passions: music.

I have been intrigued by the power of music since childhood and that fascination has woven itself into my daily existence as an adult. Not only do I play music every single day, but I find myself intently listening to the world around me. From an office copier's repetitious execution, to the lyrical tones found in the voices of my contemporaries; sounds and rhythms are everywhere. Plus, as a consequence of my career in higher education, I have had the good fortune of not only contributing to the advancement of human knowledge in my own, minute ways, but my jobs have also enabled me to dedicate thousands of hours to "listening" as I work. This simple exercise, one that far too many people take for granted, has kept me sane in the face of unyielding toil, while simultaneously expanding my appreciation for all forms of the finest art. The time has come to more formally share that appreciation with my fellow, curious human beings.

In the end, bombarding facebook with all of the songs that I want to share in any given day is obnoxious and would surely result in having fewer friends. As a courtesy to everyone, the bulk of my submissions (for your listening pleasure) will now appear on this page. This space will be primarily oriented around sharing those songs and artists that I personally find to be appealing, interesting, meaningful, weird, funky, and essential. An "eclectic mix" probably best describes what one will find here from visit to visit. My sincere hope is that this blog will supplement the expansion of your musical horizons and hip you to songs that you may not have otherwise consumed. At the very least, maybe you'll get reacquainted with tunes that have slipped into the ether, drowned out by the cacophonous murmur of modern living.

Diversity is the spice of life and your mind the meat to be seasoned. Let's get cooking....









No comments:

Post a Comment